Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Amateur Identity



For some time now my thoughts have drifted around the idea of identity.  It started with my family, continued with this article on slavery in Mauritania, then again while visiting teaching earlier this year. About a year ago, pending motherhood consumed who I was and the effect it would have on my other identities - wife, friend, co-worker/employee, Sunday school teacher, family member in various capacities. Sometimes I feel like it finally seems as though those specific roles nestled into a comfortable place around my primary role as caretaker to my daughter. Other days, not so much.

Every now and then, I feel a little lost as to who I really am. I know I'm not exactly the same person I was 10 years ago... but doesn't she still reside in my basic persona? While obscure band t-shirts and canvas all-stars no longer crowd my closet, experiences of that age brought me to who I am now. I found parts of myself - hooking onto the liberal arts, establishing life-long friendships, and most importantly stopping in my tracks overcome with the love I felt from my Savior.

Now, those not-so-obscure-anymore bands remain on my iPhone, and I continue to find great strength in the women I met that year. When Corinne was just a few months old, I fed and rocked her to sleep every night. On one particular evening, my eyes rested on her peaceful, sleeping face and I siltenly plead for her to have friends like the ones I do - people who inspire her to be honest, hard-working, intelligent, well-rounded, happy, fun, active, and spiritual. People who she can always count on, no matter how much distance may separate them. I stared down at her for a long time, hoping that she could only be so lucky.

I know that I can work on instilling those same attributes as a parent, but I also I know how critical it is for her to have a good, solid group of friends. Thanks to such influences when I first arrived BYU, I stayed in Provo and realized my self-worth and testimony. During that time, I came to fully accept my identity as a child a of God who can receive innumerable blessings - like personal revelation and forgiveness.

I know that this identity is at my core, and will never change. While I may falter in my faith or understanding of this concept, it is an identity that will always be there, ready for me to accept.
When I first began writing this post, I had lines written describing former selves - the girl consumed by cryptic song lyrics and late-night (early morning?) parties... but once I began to recall that evening in the rocking chair, this post slowly morphed. While my past identities matter, they don't define me. Those identities slowly morphed, too.

At times I struggle, thinking I have no sense of self... I don't run marathons, letterpress, or sew. I grasp at the disappointment of not having an identity - I'm not a cool hipster, a super mom, or corporate success. Thus, I began exploring this dissatisfaction of self and began to write.

That night with Corinne proves that my current identity mainly focuses on my role as a mother to Corinne (possible in part by being wife to Scott, of course). But there is so much more to it! My persona as a mother stems from who I've become through my relationships with those around me, relationships that led to a grand turning point of my self-actualization. When I get down to it, I think that is all that really matters. The angst I've felt off and on for the past few months seems so futile - why feel bad that I'm not a crafter or a cook? That's not my identity. My hobbies (or lack thereof) do not define me (thankfully). Right now, I need to be at peace with letting my family - both earthly and heavenly - do is instead. I like to think I'm pretty good with that.

4 comments:

Mr and Mrs Smith and Co said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Isn't it lovely when we come to those realizations? Good friends make a HUGE impact on how a person grows up. Suppose my children will let me pick theirs? Yeah. I didn't think so either :p

Becca said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I feel like I had this same realization a few years back, and what a relief it was to not hold myself up to some standards that are not myself at all!!! I was able to become a better mother and wife. Friends are a huge part of your life I agree, and thankfully we have such great ones, and ones who kept us going in the right direction. :) And you are an amazing mother, friend, and I know I look to you at what you do and try to use some of those skills. Know that even though you don't think you are doing much, someone is watching and noticing it, thanks for being a great example to me! :)

Hksedwick said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I loved reading this. Truthfully, I feel like I am still struggling with this. I sure am glad for that first year at BYU! I feel like I was at a crossroads then too, and luckily we were all able to lift each other.

Dan and Laura said...Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Such a cool thing to read this, Mare. I like what Becca said about not comparing ourselves to others because we don't need to be like everyone else in order to be successful and reach our goals. At this stage in my life, being a mother and wife encompasses SO much! And it's the best ME I can be! Love you friend and all that I've learned from you!